How to wean a baby from breastfeeding after a year
Mother's milk is a guarantee of health and normal development of the child. Together with mother's milk, the developing organism receives all the necessary, therefore, doctors do not recommend weaning the baby from their breasts for up to 6 months.
According to pediatricians, after a year to continue breastfeeding is not necessary. It makes sense to leave the mother's milk in the diet of the child in the event that both parties express mutual consent. The article will look at how to wean a baby from breastfeeding after a year.
Traditionally, the first thoughts about the termination of lactation visit the mother after the child reaches the age of one. The following factors are inclined to make this decision:
- There is no way to stay at home because maternity leave ends.
- In the menu of the child there are products that are a source of nutrients.
- Snacks at the chest impede the transition to a full-fledged diet, and milk is unable to fill the energy costs of the baby.
- Lactation at night prevents the rest of the baby and mother.
Sometimes weaning of the baby from the breast becomes a necessity. It is about the upcoming long-term separation from the baby or a serious illness in the mother, whose treatment involves taking medications that are contraindicated in breastfeeding.
Step-by-step action plan
Practice shows that it is not easy to wean a child from the breast. If you have any problems with this, I advise you to use the instructions below. It will facilitate the process and help in achieving the goal.
- Choose the right time for weaning. According to statistics, the child's need for sucking the breast decreases from 9 months. By the year the baby gets supplements that provide the body with important trace elements. Further breastfeeding is fraught with the transformation of the need for psychological dependence.
- Act gradually. At the initial stage, replace breastfeeding during the daytime with another product. Later undergo the same changes morning and evening meal. As a result, feeding will remain before the day and night rest. Replace them later. Observe a pause between the cancellation of breastfeeding in 1 week.
- Change the approach to feeding.Change the place of eating, distract the child with toys and songs, watch his behavior. Prolonged capriciousness is a sign of psychological unwillingness to change. In this case, wait a bit with weaning.
- If the child is sick, teething or vaccinated, wait. In a stressful situation, give milk as much as it requests. It is recommended to start the process in spring or autumn, but not in summer. After starting the procedure, the nursing mother is not recommended to leave the baby for a long time, as he will get double stress.
- Do not tell your baby that the milk is over or spoiled. After the next meal, he will make sure that you lied. This will contribute to the formation of the first doubts and the development of the desire to check the words of the mother.
If you are determined to stop breastfeeding, act and remain confident. In this case, remorse is inappropriate, and the child can recognize them. And do not pay attention to the negative opinion of friends and loved ones.
How to wean a baby after a year from night feeding
A newborn baby needs food both during the day and at night.Over time, the need for food is subject to change, and sleepless nights lead to severe fatigue of nursing moms. As a result, there are thoughts about stopping the night feeding.
If the cause of nocturnal appetite in a child after a year is not a physical need, it is recommended to take a set of measures aimed at stopping night feeding. The main thing is that the actions should be gradual, not forced.
- To start, reduce the duration of feeding. If you use the purchased mixture, add more water, and eventually go to the water itself. This approach is appropriate if the child receives the optimal amount of food during the daytime.
- Reducing night feeding is recommended after the introduction of the diet. In the evening, give the child a porridge, and before going to bed a little baby kefir or briefly apply it to the chest.
- When accustomed to prolonged night sleep, make sure that the nursery is comfortable. Noise, heat, dry air - all this prevents sleep. And a child who slept badly becomes naughty and asks to eat.
- Patiently explain to the baby that next time he will eat in the morning when the sun appears outside the window. And even if the crumb does not understand you, continue the conversation, showing perseverance and patience.
It is not uncommon for a child, despite the measures taken by the parents, to wake up at night to refresh themselves. If such a problem has occurred, find its root cause. It may be:
- Hunger. In this case, review the daily regimen and eliminate distractions from food. We are talking about toys, cartoons.
- Lack of communication. If a nursing mother goes to work, in the evening it is worth spending more time with the child. This will help fun games, gentle massage or simple hugs.
- Habit. Such a problem is faced by parents who, from birth, feed their children in the crib. Give the breast or bottle sitting on the couch or in the chair.
Schooling for a long night of sleep and the cessation of night feeding is not an easy task. Fortunately, every mommy can solve it, among her allies there are gradual actions, perseverance and patience.
Folk methods and means
If you decide to stop breastfeeding, wean the baby gently and unobtrusively.Pediatricians recommend weaning after a year, since by this time an extensive list of products is included in the diet. And national methodologies and means will help to achieve the goal.Consider, before using folk methods, be sure to consult with your doctor. All considered methods are indicated for informational purposes only.
"Grandma's way". Contrary to simplicity, the method is rather severe. For a few days, give the child to be raised to a dad, grandmother, or other close relative. Mom will have to fight the incoming milk. To do this, chest drag sheets.
The method provides a quick and good result, but there are also disadvantages - psychological trauma for the baby, fever and discomfort for the mother, a high probability of developing mastitis. Today, this method is rarely used, because it is too cruel towards the child and the nursing mother.
"Bad taste". Some mothers take advantage of the trick, pushing the child to self-denial of the breast. To achieve the result, they spread nipples with tasteless substances, including wormwood, brilliant green and mustard.
The method is effective, but it also has disadvantages: stress for the child, violation of children's trust in the mother. Not all substances are harmless to the baby. In particular, tincture of wormwood is potentially dangerous to health. Use folk remedies should be very careful.
Dr. Komarovsky technique
Weaning is a difficult process, but if you listen to the recommendations of Dr. Komarovsky, it will be easier and faster to achieve results. Thanks to the advice of the doctor, the child will avoid stress, which is important. What does Komarovsky recommend?
- Use less fluid. As a result, the amount of milk will decrease and it will be more difficult for the baby to get food. The fight against such difficulties quickly get bored, which will speed up the process of disaccustoming from the mother's breast.
- Eliminate from the diet foods that increase milk production. To remove excess fluid from the body gradually increase physical activity.
- Gradually reduce the duration of feeding. The doctor advises sometimes skip meals. In order for the child not to notice the pause, it is recommended to distract him with something interesting.
The main goal of the Dr. Komarovsky method is to make it difficult for the baby to breastfeed. According to the doctor, this approach is simple and less stressful.To increase the effectiveness of the doctor advises to resort to the help of interesting activities, including games, looking at pictures. Any exercise that is not related to breastfeeding is suitable.
The best painless way
The baby grows and with time comes the moment when it is necessary to refuse breastfeeding. For a tiny man, this life phase is difficult, so it is important to make sure that it is completed as painlessly as possible.
- Be sure to consider the emotional and physical condition of the child. Each baby is individual and weaning time is different in each case. If the baby calms down or falls asleep without breastfeeding, this indicates his emotional readiness for such changes.
- Pay special attention to complementary foods. Pediatricians recommend at the initial stage to replace one day breastfeeding with normal food, and in the future in the same way to change the feeding in the morning and evening. To change passed unnoticed, change the place of children's meal.
- After this, proceed to weaning from the night feeding. If the child is crying, distract him with kefir, juice or water.When he drinks from a bottle, be near. Maternal love will help to endure parting with the breast.
- Prepare for the fact that weaning is a serious test for both parties. During the process, the close relationship between mother and child is destroyed and an invisible border appears. In this difficult period, pay more attention to your baby, speak gentle words, massage, play.
- Do not use methods involving the lubrication of nipples unpleasant taste taste or prolonged separation. Otherwise, to avoid complications will be problematic.
Do not begin the process of interrupting breastfeeding in the summer, when you are ill, after prophylactic vaccination. Excommunication is recommended when the child feels comfortable and calm.
Pharmacies sell medicines that reduce the production of breast milk.If you decide to achieve the goal with the help of medicines, be sure to see a doctor, because expensive hormonal drugs have contraindications and side effects.
Traditionally prescribed Utrozhestan, Norkolut, Mikrofollin, Dostinex or Bromocriptine. Milk production stops completely within 1-2 weeks. The term depends on the type of drug used.
Remember, after taking the first pill, it is forbidden to give the breast, because the milk is saturated with hormones that enter the mother's body. In general, the drug method is severe. It is not suitable for women whose body is too sensitive to hormonal drugs.
Are the methods different after a year, at 1.5 years and at 2 years old?
The World Health Organization does not recommend interrupting breastfeeding until the age of two, but some pediatricians disagree. Sometimes there are cases when the mother continues to feed the child up to 3, or even up to 5 years. And, depending on the age, the method of weaning from the breast varies and has special features.
- In a one-year-old baby, milk is not the main source of food. It is simply a useful supplement, saturated with important hormones and enzymes. After a year, the methods described above help to wean the child from the breast.
- In a year and a half, educational activities and interesting games contribute to the achievement of the goal. It is recommended to offer a breast in the moment, inconvenient for the child.As a result, feeding is perceived as an unpleasant duty.
- If breastfeeding continues up to 2 years and longer, it is fraught with the transformation of the child into caprice. To solve the problem, use the methods described above, conduct conversations. By this time, the child partially understands the parents.
Summing up, I note that weaning a child too soon is not worth it. This is fraught with a slowdown in the development of immunity, an increase in moodiness, a dulling of a sense of security and severe stress, accompanied by the appearance of bad habits. This desire to gnaw pens, nails and other items.
If we talk about late weaning, at the age of 2-3 years, the baby performs deliberate actions. He understands that for a meal it is enough to get to the chest. But at this moment feeding brings a lot of pain to the mother, since the baby already had teeth. And further delay is fraught with increased psychological dependence on breastfeeding.
I have it all.