How to learn to read quickly?
Quickly and efficiently learn new material, navigate in the ocean of new information - the main need in the modern world of high speeds and furious rhythms. But how to learn to read quickly?
There are many techniques and technologies for learning fast reading. Where to start? First of all, you should find out the current speed of your reading. How to make such a measurement? You need to choose a suitable book for work:
- It should have several pages of full continuous text;
- These pages should not contain figures, photographs or tables;
- There should be no technical terms on these pages;
- Not suitable newspaper or magazine.
It is convenient to use a timer for training in order to measure the necessary time intervals.
So, the book was found! We carry out the first test. Read one minute at your usual pace, when complete understanding is achieved. Exactly in a minute, stop and count the number of words read. This will be the speed of your reading. Remember her!
- The first acquaintance with the subject in question, will "slip", i.e. paying attention no more than 1-2 seconds to one page. Just glance at the key phrases, so that the brain catches the subject and the author's style.
- It is not necessary to see the sentence verbatim, the brain itself will add binding words. But the words of negation - “not” and “no” - should certainly be caught, they can change the meaning of the whole sentence.
- It is necessary to concentrate on the topic of the material, otherwise the speed will decrease due to the constant loss of the thread of the story.
- To set the reading rate, use your left hand by moving it from left to right along the line, then returning to the beginning of the next line until you reach the bottom of the page.
How to learn to read quickly. Tutorial
When learning speed reading, it is important to determine its purpose. If you just want to spend your leisure time, turn off high speed and relax, but if your task is new knowledge, then this tutorial will effectively help you read books on self-development, you will be able to learn incomparably faster than before.
- Usually in educational literature it will be optimal to read with full understanding the first 2 pages of each chapter,where the main concept is proposed, and the final lines are the conclusions at the end, and the illustrative examples in the middle of a chapter can be read at your highest speeds.
- In journals, it is convenient to treat each column as a separate page of text, and focus on the column using the tempo setting technique.
Now we will perform an exercise on changing the threshold of the speed of reading. Deep breathing, beautiful posture, smile! Start reading with your usual speed, double it in a minute, for which you should drive your hand over the text twice as fast, or cover 2 lines of text with your eyes at once. At the 3rd minute, speed up! Read 3 lines at a time! Understanding at this moment does not matter, we only allow our eyes, gliding along the lines, to see the words as quickly as they can. At the 4th minute, return to normal speed, with a full understanding of what you are reading. Repeat the entire training 4 times in a row. Thus, the exercise will take 16 minutes. And now check yourself and read the test text again, but at the highest speed you can read. After a minute, count the number of words read this time.Your speed has increased noticeably!
How to learn to read aloud quickly
And you got a bonus! During the lesson, you developed a new quality: the ability to simultaneously cover a large area of text with your eyesight, which means you automatically began to read quickly and out loud due to the accumulation in your mind of words that have not yet been spoken, but have already been transmitted to the brain with your eyes.
Regularly repeating the exercise cited in our article, you will develop the speed reading skill, the skill will remain with you forever.